Diversity among women riders

March 4, 2010

I was thinking last night about the many women I have had the privilege of meeting through motorcycling. Some I have only met “online” for conversation (MissBusa, Chessie, MTAJudy, Mary Baker…and so many more) and some I have met in person (Cindi, Stacy, Christina, Cathy, Sasha).

What a diverse group of women we are! Not only do we ride all sorts of motorcycles, from cruisers to sportbikes, supersports to sport-tourers, we come in all shapes and sizes ourselves! We come together for a love of riding, of being “women in the wind”, and for the adventure of the open road, despite having different ideologies and philosophies about the nature of life, whether it is god-driven or chaos-theory driven. We are straight and gay, mothers and not-mothers, we are slim and Rubenesque, short and tall—and the quality that makes us all beautiful, sexy, and powerful (in a good way) is our passion for two wheels.

I honor all of you, and I am grateful for every one of you who shares my love of riding.

1. March 4, 2010 4:22 pm

You have said it all right there, sister. That’s a beautiful way of putting it. I don’t know why, but that just made my day. Now, if I just could find more women who ride their own around here where I live… I’ve met a lot of women just tooling around who were inspired, but really don’t know if they actually followed their inspiration and got on two wheels or not. But that’s an awesome feeling, nevertheless, no matter what comes of it. Thank you for your post. 🙂

• March 5, 2010 6:10 am

MissB, I’m glad I made your day. You know, it was seeing the pictures of you wrenching on your bike that inspired my thought process; I just think we’re a pretty outstanding group of women who absolutely cannot be classified! Awesome… 🙂

• March 5, 2010 6:25 am

*hugs* looks like we’ve inspired each other. But we’re not going to talk further about wrenching, not something I can say I enjoy (just yet), but the things this chica does in the name of speed (~> see motorcycle personality quiz, last question lol)

2. March 4, 2010 6:02 pm

I couldn’t have said it better. It’s a pleasure to meet people who have the passion for riding, and meeting them whether in person or on line is a treat. One day, I say, I’ll actually meet the people I have so much respect and admiration for. After all, I do travel the country on my motorcycle, and you never know when I might be in your neck of the woods. Keep up the awesome work on your blog, ride free and ride safe!

• March 5, 2010 6:06 am

I have found a community among motorcycling women that I have never experienced before. Never has a passion engaged me as motorcycling does, and it is incredible to have all of you as kindred spirits in this passion. It’s one thing to be admired by non-riders because you ride, and a whole other feeling to be with women who “get it”.

3. March 4, 2010 9:12 pm

This post is well thought out. I was scared, when I read the teaser for the blog…that you would say all the cliche things about female riders. You have said more by saying less, by not trying to describe or pigeon-hole us. You realize we are NOT all the same. Our needs are all different, but the end results are the same… Our love and respect of the motorcycle.

• March 5, 2010 5:38 am

Chessie, this is an interesting reaction. Maybe it’s good it inspired a little fear? Thank you for reading it, even though you thought you might cringe!

4. March 6, 2010 8:01 pm

Short and sweet and to the point Liz, I couldn’t agree more! I love the fact that we as 11% of the motorcycling population and growing by leaps and bounds every day. And to meet so many inspiring. talented women through social media forums has been a pleasure and a godsend. My only regret is that I wish we all lived closer!

Keep the great blog updates coming!

Love,