Icon’s new Variant Helmet

May 3, 2010

I took one look at a picture of this helmet and thought “motocross”. I was surprised they were marketing the helmet to street riders. However, upon viewing Icon’s informational video detailing the intricacies of the design and the technical specs of this helmet, I’m liking the features that have been built in, especially the fog-free faceshield and the visor. I haven’t yet found a pair of sunglasses that I’m comfortable wearing under my full-face helmet, and I’m often fighting sun glare at the end of the day. Maybe this helmet is the solution?

Check it out and let me know what you think:

1. May 4, 2010 2:41 am

I like it!! However, I wish they would have shown how the visor lifts, or…does it lift. I get a lot of fog on my visor and have been riding with it up slightly. Either I need to stop breathing so hard or get a new helmet…LOL

2. May 5, 2010 7:50 pm

Liz:

I have always wanted to have a full face but with my glasses I feel so claustrophobic, so I have settled on a 3/4. I have a cheap DOT one that has a built in smoked sunshield, as well as the clear outer face shield. If it is sunny I just move a lever on the helmet to lower the shield inside. You don’t need sunglasses.

bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

• May 16, 2010 2:40 am

I have a smoke-colored insert for my Pinlock face shield that I use in the summertime. I love that. I also carry an additional clear face shield if we are going to be riding at dusk. That system has worked for me, but I still would like a visor type thing for when the sun is at just that place between the smoke insert and the top edge of the face shield. Kind of like that spot in between the two visors of the car, over the rear view mirror…

• Jim permalink
        May 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Liz, a strip of electrical tape (available in nearly all primary colours) solved my “above Pinlock” sun issues. I put mine on the outside w/ a fold so I have a handy tab f/ effortless removal. The strip also does away w/ that annoying partial face reflection on the inside of the visor.

As f/ the Icon…despite the “aerodynamic features” I strongly suspect that one will get a pretty good wind tug from that visor and extended chin when doing head checks at highway speeds.

Best.

3. May 7, 2010 3:07 pm

Liz, it looks like a dualsport helmet to me. The features seem nice, but Icon has a reputation for catering to the SQUIDly crowd. I like some of their stuff, the quality has been lacking. I also wear glasses under my helmet. I usually use a tinted shield. It is far better than sunglasses and in low light it can easily be swapped for the clear shield.

Bob, 50% of the time when a helmet is used in a crash, it’s the chin area getting used first.

4. May 16, 2010 2:01 am

Looks so weird to me, but cool. I wonder the same thing that Judy does…

5. May 17, 2010 4:30 am

Jim— Electrical tape. Wow. That’s kind of a cool idea. Thanks for offering that up. It’s easy, fast, and doesn’t leave any sticky adhesive behind. I like it! 🙂

I have also heard that at highway/freeway speeds the visor does indeed cause head tugging, and that the helmet is better for “around town”. Not surprising, but disappointing nonetheless.

6. May 17, 2010 6:57 pm

I use eletrical tape on my arai. I use two strips. Works great.