Sheer Joy!

August 25, 2010

I haven’t gotten to ride for almost two weeks, partly my fault for being a wuss about riding in the cold, damp fog. With the clear weather finally here on the coast, I just couldn’t NOT ride to work today. It was truly sheer joy… I was whooping in my helmet, and grinning from ear to ear. I also had to take a bit of a detour for a few extra miles…

How many of you find the same joy when you haven’t been on your bike in awhile? I’d love to know…

1. August 25, 2010 6:38 pm

You can bet I do. If it’s been longer than 7 days I become lost and unfocused. By the time I’m on the bike and I’ve put some miles in, I finally relax enough to sigh some deep breaths…sit up right, shake my fists in the air above my head and cry a banshee victory cry. I’ve been known to cry in spring when I take my 1st very comfortable ride without freezing my butt or having to bundle up until I look like the Michelin Tire dude…. And everyone calls me “sir” when I go in to pay for gas. Yes… we are sisters of machine…there is no doubt.

• August 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Chessie, you do have a way with words, which I so appreciate. I often find myself craving that rush of being on the bike, being naked to the elements (rhetorically, of course), seeking the peace that being on the bike brings. I cry when I can’t get on the bike.

Sisters of the machine? That is a very apt phrase… thank you for sharing! 🙂

2. Sue Reid permalink
    August 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Lizzy, your blog brought back memories of riding my bicycle – yes, one speed w/brakes in the pedals – down the hills in Northeast Portland, at about age 11 or 12, throwing my arms wide open, looking up at the sky, grinning, and feeling oh, so free! Of course once my bike hit a parked car, and it hurt like he_ _! But the ride was worth it 🙂 Love, Mom

• August 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Mom. What you describe is exactly what I feel on my motorcycle. (But I’m not planning on hitting any parked cars… ) Love you, too…

3. August 26, 2010 7:47 pm

I recently experienced that same feeling of joy! Glad to hear you were able to get out again!!

• August 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Pam, after I posted this in the morning, I happened upon your post about getting out to ride, and how happy you were… I am also glad for you, especially given the conditions in which you have to ride this summer!

4. Susan Vreyens permalink
    August 28, 2010 7:22 pm

I get that wonderful feeling when I get on my bike too! But as in bicycle, not motorbike, because I’m too much of a wuss to even get on one. Maybe next time we hit the coast for a visit, you can take wimpy me for a ride.

5. December 19, 2010 3:54 am

Liz, I ride my Buell to work everyday ( unless its raining) and for a few days it has been raining. So I know the feeling! Couldn’t wait to get back to the wind noise, haha!

6. July 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Totally, so true, are male riders allowed to comment?
    I’ll take it as a yes… (:
    I live in Vancouver BC, west coast yes but boy does the north west get wet at time, and especially this summer, it’s just not here, almost end of July and still no sun, ooohhh bummer… but I so identify with what you say here about not riding for a while and then riding again, so sweet indeed, just experienced it today as the rain stopped and I rode my new 2010 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 fuel injected with new Cobra pipes to work, I was in my element again enjoying every little purr of my cat.

Thanks for sharing, it’s a wonderful blog and it’s so nice to be reminded that this amazing riding spirit and culture is not for men only, for sure not.

Stay safe,
    Shony

• July 29, 2011 5:30 am

Hey, Shony:
      I totally take (appropriate) comments from males on my blog. I’m especially gratified to hear you enjoyed reading it. Your words inspire me to get back to my writing, since it’s been awhile since I last posted.

Indeed it has been a late start to the riding season, even here. Vancouver’s not so far away (certainly not in spirit), although the latitude does make for a bit more lingering winter weather than northern California. I’m glad to hear you’re out and about again this year, and, it seems, in life. Congratulations on getting back on a bike, after so long away. Your Shadow Spirit is lovely!

Happy riding and ride safe!
      LRRL

• July 29, 2011 3:21 pm

How nice to find a response LRRL, I find writing therapeutic, creative and I love the expressiveness, similar to what I find in music making. Some pics and vids of my new bike can be seen at:

How long have you been riding?
        What do you ride?