How did 2010 fare in the goal department?

January 1, 2011

Tony and bikes at Mono Lake overlookIn looking back over my first post of last year about my then-New Year’s goals, I see that my anticipated mileage goal was much less than my expectation. I ended up with 5,062 miles last year, far short of the 8,000-10,000 I was jonesing for, and less than my previous average of 5,500mpy.

Weather played a huge factor in my lack of miles: it has been exceedlingly wet here in coastal California. Now, I know that weather doesn’t stop everyone, and it would not stop me if I were properly geared up for riding in the rain. But I’m not. Yet.

I also ended up with a bad back for several weeks, and ended up with my daughter in tow more weeks than in previous years. With all the items we lug around for school and sports, the car seems to be a more appropriate form of transportation.

Stacy and Liz
On the positive side, I have to say the majority of those 5,000-plus miles were incredibly fun, skill-building, and at times challenging. From meeting Stacy in Boonville and guiding her to our home on a dark evening in February; to my first solo ride in May; to an outstanding July trip with Cindi to the BMW Rally in Oregon, then up to Portland with Jim Redbird and company and a solo ride home; to our High Sierra adventure in October—with everything from mechanical issues to storm fronts and new places visited—the miles on the bike this past year have been exceedingly rewarding, as only riding and touring on a motorcycle can be.
Cindi and Liz at Crater Lake
This year, I won’t set any specific goals, other than to keep fit, keep riding, keep writing, keep loving, and to keep living in each moment. Who knows what this year will bring? I will await the unfolding of the days, weeks, and months ahead.

1. January 2, 2011 1:46 am

I never seem to ride as much as I want to, so I cherish every mile. Sounds like you had 5062 miles of your own to cherish. 🙂

Your ability to juggle so many hats is an inspiration. Have a great 2011!

2. January 2, 2011 7:44 am

Those are my type of goals! Hope you have a wonderful new year.

Richard

3. January 3, 2011 4:16 am

God bless ya, darlin. The truth is that the possibilities are endless….

Hope to see more of you in 2011. Im contemplating another bike purchase so I will have a long range capabilities again. I just cant ride the Harley with those dang ape hangers!! Bad idea…

The best to you in 2011 and always.

4. January 3, 2011 6:20 am

Even though you didn’t reach your mileage goal Liz, it was time well spent. I know it was for me riding up to the BMW Rally with you in Redmond OR. I loved every mile of it!
    Thank you for being such a great friend this past few years and I look forward to the privelage of accompanying you on future rides for 2011 and beyond! Love you, Cindi

5. January 3, 2011 7:06 pm

“I won’t set any specific goals, other than to keep fit, keep riding, keep writing, keep loving, and to keep living in each moment.” AMEN to that, sister.

6. January 4, 2011 7:02 am

@Stacy: I do appreciate the miles (because we both know there is NOTHING like the ride), but it’s the friendships I’ve made through riding that I cherish the most. I wish you and Stace an utterly fantastic year. I look forward to hearing more about your ride plans, as they unfold. Be well.

@Richard: Thank you… and to you! 🙂

@Judy: I’ll bet you are anxious to have a little more of that long range possibility! I’ll be in Portland at some point, and you’d better believe we’ll get together. Best wishes for 2011, my friend.

@Cindi: Riding up to Bend with you was fantastic! Let’s plan a long weekend ride together! Yes!

@Sonja: Just start now… the light is returning and I can feel riding season coming up fast… Happy 2011, Sonja. Maybe this will be the year I get to meet in person some new Canadian riding friends!