Giving Sportbike Riders a Bad Rep

January 24, 2011

Guy on a 2008 Buell, drunk, fails to stop for CHP, evades officers and eventually crashes into another vehicle sustaining minor injuries for the vehicle’s driver (totalling that vehicle) and now in critical condition himself.

What is wrong with this idiot? Death wish? Thinks he’s above the law? Having a bad day? If you ride and any of these are the case… don’t get on your bike!

Come on… give responsible riders a break!

1. January 24, 2011 5:42 pm

I totally agree. And there doesn’t have to be tragedy or injury either. How many times had I had the Popo on my tail because some idiot on a sport bike decided to do 130+ mph on the Interstate with traffic, and someone called them in. Of course the cops caught up with me going just over the speed limit while the squid is miles ahead and gone. And I have to watch my Ps and Qs to not get pulled over.

2. January 25, 2011 12:13 am

I think it’s the feeling of invincibility when you’re young.

Richard

• January 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Hmmm, I think it’s just sheer stupidity… especially thinking he could “get away” on a Buell? Guess the guy didn’t know his bike very well, and more than likely overestimated his own abililty as well.

3. January 25, 2011 2:12 am

It’s a lot deeper than sportbike riders. Riders of any kind of motorcycle that have overly loud pipes, because of them we now have a law in California (where we are both from) regarding noise levels that will go into effect in 2013 and, within that time will have an impact on riders and aftermarket companies in a great number of states. Overly loud off-road bikes and irresponsible riders have caused many thousands of acres of open space closed off to motorcycles.

We are a small part of the population on the roads and trails, but it only takes a few of us to undo all the good that many of us try to do, the old saying of “one bad apple spoils the whole barrel” is soooo true when it comes to motorcycles.

In the case of the Buell rider you mentioned, apparently he had more balls than brains.

4. January 25, 2011 2:41 am

+1 Richard

5. Jack Riepe permalink
    January 25, 2011 4:06 am

Dear Lilred:

The guy had a suspended license, probably from previously speeding, riding drunk or uninsured, and was most likely intent on not having to explain his peculiar circumstances to the authorities again. If I had a dime for all the times I witnessed dramatic, and death-defying, squid-like behavior — I’d be wealthy.

I ride with a senior citizen’s group.

Our objective is to get out, get to the early-bird buffets (with the apple sauce and cottage cheese), and try to meet women under 75 with similar interests. Yet I too have found myself passing a four-wheeled oil painting, once or twice cutting across double yellow lines, and occasionally pushing my “vintage” BMW K75 into triple digits. (If it wasn’t supposed to go that fast, why did they put all those extra numbers on the speedo?)

Most gas tanks are just big enough to accommodate temptation as a passenger. The trick is in understanding she bails when you run out of options.

Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

• January 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Jack,
      I also have been known to very occasionally pass over double yellows (“it’s all the Sportriders’ fault…”) and going into triple digits. However, most of us know better than to evade the nice officer, and to only attempt the above trespasses when conditions are absolutely (okay, nothing is absolute) as safe as can be. In fact, my sweet partner still refuses to cross double yellows, a fact I find most admirable (even if I have become a bit less patient than that now that I am working on my next 20K miles).

Temptation is one thing; knowing your limits and potential hazards in order to resist is another thing entirely.

Thank you, as always, for your great wisdom.
      Cheers!
      LRRL

6. January 25, 2011 8:07 pm

I like to call this “cleaning out the gene pool” but then again, I’m a terrible person.

7. neandorman permalink