Four Days of Twisty Fun

October 13, 2011
Tony and ZX10

Tony with his Suzukiyamahonducatisaki, rarin' to go

My sweetheart, Tony, left this morning on the first 300+ mile day of the inaugural northern California Motomarathonevent. A Motomarathon is “about riding as many twisties as possible, over four full days. Routes are kept secret until the night before each event. Through a series of self-recorded checkpoints, riders verify completion at the end of each day’s ride.”

Is this man excited?

Needless to say, Tony is as excited as a new puppy with his first chew toy! He’s been working on his bike for the past three weeks: painting, polishing, changing the brakes, installing a new upper fairing and headlights (so he can actually see at night if he’s caught out after dark) and more.

Why, you might ask, am I not accompanying Tony on this ride? Very good question indeed! The reason is because this baby:

…is turning into this beautiful 14-year-old young lady, and a mom cannot miss her child’s birthday, even for a Motomarathon!

Time to celebrate!

So I’m a Motomarathon widow this year (sort of).

Next year? If there’s another northern California ride, and the timing is right, you’d better believe I won’t miss that one!

Motomarathoners: May your skies be blue, the pavement dry, the checkpoints easy to find, and may you have huge fun during your four day adventure!

1. Jack Riepe permalink
    October 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Dear Liz:

You made the right choice. At 14, your butterfly is on the verge of becoming a rose… And there will always be more twisties and other events.

Besides, now you won’t feel bad at zipping past Tony on the curves.

Fondest regards,
    Jack/reep
    Twisted Roads

2. jimmy redbird permalink
    October 14, 2011 12:01 am

The dividends paid on being a great mom last 2 lifetimes, yours & hers. Tony can recon the tasty bits for you to feast on later with a full tank and a clear conscience. Enjoy the revels while ye may!

• October 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Jim,
      I do hope that Eden will remember the things I have been able to do for and with her during her childhood and young adulthood, rather than the things I couldn’t. Read on for Tony’s feelings about the motomarathon—the route wasn’t quite what he was expecting (and indeed nothing new for either of us).

We had a fabulous dinner at a fancy Italian restaurant in Petaluma. We celebrated with a friend of Eden’s who was turning 13 the next day—both girls had TWO desserts!

Thanks for reading…
      Liz

3. October 14, 2011 12:14 am

happy trails and happy birthday!!!

• October 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks, Miss Mary! It’s so hard to believe our lovelies are 14 (or nearly, in Bridget’s case).

4. October 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Seeing in the dark is a good thing. And spending time with your daughter on her birthday seems to be a great way to spend the weekend.

What is a Suzukiyamahonducatisaki?

• October 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Let’s see if I can remember all the parts of the Suzukiyamahonducatisaki, Richard.

Tony’s bike—originally a Kawasaki ZX10—has a Ducati monoposto seat/tail section, mirrors from a Suzuki, headlight fairing from a Yamaha FZ6 (originally aftermarket, though), and from Honda… random bits, I believe.

🙂

5. October 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Too cool! Will we get a recap from Tony?

You should tell the Motomarathon folks to pick a day other than the 14th next year. 😉

• October 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Stacy, the idea was that next year we would develop the route (and timing) of the ride, based on the organization’s format.

However, Tony had some strong feelings about the ride. His response is Pending, so I will go Approve that now and you can read what he thought. I suggested he write a more complete guest post about the event, but his reply may suffice.

6. Tony Reed permalink
    October 17, 2011 5:51 pm

For whatever it’s worth, it wasn’t as much fun as I expected. In fact, it was so ‘not fun’ that I parted company with the motomarathon after one day. It wasn’t at all what I expected and, if I’m honest, wasn’t what it promised.

• October 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for replying, Tony. Seems like people have been wondering.

If you want to expand your comments, that would be welcome, too.