End of the Line

March 7, 2013

I said goodbye to Big Green this morning. I ran out of steam for trying to get it running right – again. It never liked being parked for the winter, and our humid coastal climate didn’t help matters much.

There is a space in my garage, awaiting whatever bike will come next… now I get to dream (and start checking bike specs all over again); fun!

Farewell, Big Green. You took me many happy miles, and I know you will bring more than a few thrills, lots of grins, and big giggles to your next riders. Thanks for the memories…

Konocti View

Here I am at an overlook on Hwy 175, Mount Knocti in the backgrouund.

1. March 7, 2013 6:29 pm

bittersweet. fabulous pic!

• March 7, 2013 7:05 pm

For sure, Mary Elizabeth. I am keeping the sadness away by thinking of what bike will be next, which is exciting.

2. March 7, 2013 6:50 pm

How many miles did Big Green give you?
    Lots of great sport touring mounts out there. Happy shopping

• March 7, 2013 7:04 pm

I only got to ride this bike for 10,000 miles. It had so many issues each spring that really put a crimp in my riding. They were awesome miles, but too few.

I will be looking for a touring bike so that I can take my daughter traveling in comfort.

3. March 7, 2013 7:04 pm

Ooh! Buying a new bike is fun. So long green.

4. March 7, 2013 7:11 pm

Liz:

I was wondering if you had fixed your bike. Now we know. I will always be wondering what the problem was but time to move onto another bike, which hopefully works

Hope you find something as the riding season is just around the corner

bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

• March 7, 2013 9:54 pm

Bob, my bike was fine until I parked it in late November. In January, I took it out, up to town and decided to come home because it was running poorly and I didn’t want it to crap out on me. We’ve done all we could to bring it back; I think a combination of humid coastal air, crappy gasoline, and who knows what else have caused me to simply throw my hands up with this particular bike. I think the new owner will have no trouble getting and keeping it running; he was ecstatic over the bike.
      Cheers, Liz

5. March 7, 2013 8:28 pm

Always hard to let a bike go. but it sounds like it is for the best.
    May I recommend a Suzuki Vstrom. Had mine for a number of years now and is ever reliable and I have about 95km (almost 60ml)
    Another is A GTR 1400. (Concourse I think there called in the states) one of my mates brought 1 brand new in 08 and has over 200k on it now.
    but in the end it is what fits you best.
    have fun looking.

• March 7, 2013 9:51 pm

Coyote, I’d love a VStrom but they’re hard to come by here and may be out of my price range (sad to say). The Concours is nice but I feel that’s too much bike for me. I love the FJR1300, but again, too big, I think.

Thanks for the good wishes! Be sure and keep following along to find out what I end up with. Cheers.

• Mark Mueller permalink
        March 8, 2013 2:47 am

An ST might be good.

• March 8, 2013 5:12 pm

I like the older ST1100s, Mark. Thanks for the reminder suggestion.

6. March 8, 2013 12:01 am

Farewell old friend Big Green. Best wishes to finding a NEW ride!! FYI – hubby and I both love our VStroms!

7. March 8, 2013 3:45 pm

Great picture LIz, it’s always sad to give up a bike you have loved but, sometimes it’s just the right time. In thinking about a new bike (and I see there have been a few V-Strom recommendations here?) but before you plunk down your hard earned $$$ think about your style of riding, what it has been and what would you like it to change to, if you want to change course. You have been a sport bike rider. Are you leaning toward ‘sport touring’? Longer trips, distant horizons? or spirited day rides? The new Honda NC700X is a great bike (w/o the auto trans). Also, you can find Kawasaki Ninja 650’s at a good price and they are super fun to ride for a day or a week! There are so many great bikes. Have fun choosing!
    I wish you the best of luck finding a new ride for the coming years.
    Paul

• March 8, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Paul,
      In fact, I have been a sport touring rider who happened to ride a sport bike. I love to travel on the bike, and that is not changing. What is changing is the desire to have my daughter accompany us in our travels so an appropriately comfortable bike is necessary for that. The Vee would work, though they are harder to come by because of their “staying power”. I am leaning toward several BMW models. Stay tuned; we’ll see!

8. March 9, 2013 4:07 pm

Farewell big green.

Can’t wait to see what comes knocking on the garage next looking for a place to call home.

• April 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Brandy, the new bike may even come knocking at your garage door late in the summer, if you’re home. We’re tentatively planning on a long ride north. 🙂

9. April 3, 2013 2:38 am

Its time for a new begining…A new ride a new time. I Am sure you will have much fun finding a new bike…

• April 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks. I’m looking forward to the “hunt”, when the time comes (hopefully not too far distant…). Cheers! Liz