Where in the World…? A Photo Challenge

April 12, 2013

I love how interconnected our motorcycling community is. Via Princess Scooterpie comes this challenge from rider/author Gary France, to post and share a photo of your motorcycle in the most interesting place you have parked your bike. I was going to write, “the coolest place you can think of”, but if I had a photo like that, my photo would definitely be featuring an exotic, foreign locale. Like this. (Thanks, Matthew, for your adventures and posting such great pix!)

Alas, my adventures have only taken me through the western U.S. to date. The good news is that I have many, many fond memories of awesomely cool rides in cool places, and a couple of photos to share.

I can’t resist sharing my favorite picture of me riding in an interesting place. (Gary, does this count? If not, scroll down for my “parked” favorite.)

My #1: Riding along the Abert Rim in Southern Oregon. On the right is Lake Abert, an alkali lake that only supports a colony of brine shrimp, and the birds that feed on them.

Abert Rim, Oregon

Really, I still love that photo, taken by my love, Tony Reed.

But I have clearly digressed.

Here is my number one choice for “parked motorcycle photo”. This is along the Salmon River Scenic Byway in Idaho (Hwy 93) and the monolith is Tower Rock, also known as early explorer William Clark’s “The Clift”. Lewis and Clark passed this way in 1805, and this outcrop contains some of the oldest rock in Idaho (pre-cambrian quartzite). That’s Lil Red, on the viewer’s right.

The Clift in Idaho

Thanks, Gary, for a fun chance to relive some of my favorite road trips! I am eagerly looking forward to seeing other rider submissions, and your favorite picks.

1. April 12, 2013 7:21 pm

Liz:

I just love the Lake Abert Rim area. We were there a few years ago just before they repaved the road (hwy395), then we took the Scenic Outback Byway into Christmas Valley. There was also some great landscape around Alkali Lake and the sand dunes.

thanks for posting and bringing back memories

bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

• April 13, 2013 5:44 pm

I haven’t yet been out to Christmas Valley. And I want to get even further east to see the Malheur Wildlife refuge.

2. April 12, 2013 10:10 pm

Lake Abert, that’s just north or Lakeview on 395? I enjoyed riding through the area last Summer…

Thoroughly enjoyed that trip.

• April 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Yes, Richard, Hwy 395—one of my favorite roads to explore.

Maybe we passed you! We were there last July, taking a quick road trip in the car to see Fort Rock and the lava lands around Bend with our daughter.

3. April 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Beautiful pictures!

4. April 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Great pictures Liz. The towering rock sure makes the bikes look small.

I find it funny that I live in Oregon and have never been to Lake Abert.

• April 13, 2013 5:39 pm

I hear you on this one, Brandy. I grew up in Oregon, lived there half my life, went to Ashland several times but I have never been to the Shakespearean festival, even though I love live theater.

Plan a trip sometime to southeastern Oregon. It certainly is gorgeous, and there is so much to see. Hole in the Ground, Fort Rock, Christmas Valley…

Cheers! Liz